Everyone has a unique set of fingerprints. They are part of our identity as human beings. The fact that no two fingerprints are the same makes them even more special.🤸🏻♂️
Fingerprints can be incorporated into jewelry to add some sentimental value to them. In recent years, fingerprint jewelry pieces have become more popular than ever before; mainly because they provide a unique way to celebrate, remember, or commemorate a significant relationship.
What is fingerprint jewelry and why is it so special?
Fingerprint jewelry pieces are personalized jewelry pieces that are uniquely engraved with the fingerprint of the wearer or someone special to the wearer.
Fingerprints are some of the most unique characteristics of a person—even identical twins have different fingerprints. Plus, while everything else about a person changes as they grow older, fingerprints do not. That’s why fingerprints are used in the identification of people, for example in the identification of crime suspects.
When it comes to fingerprint jewelry, some people purchase them to mark a special and significant event such as a marriage, anniversary, or birthday. Others want something meaningful to remember their loved ones. Other people simply want to present them as special gifts to someone else. Whatever the intention may be, fingerprint keepsake jewelry will always be known for being unique wearable pieces of art.
Types of fingerprint jewelry
There are several types of fingerprint jewelry. The most popular fingerprint jewelry pieces are fingerprint necklaces, which usually feature a small pendant adorning the fingerprint of a loved one. There are also fingerprint rings, earrings, cufflinks, bracelets, and so on.
Fingerprint jewelry comes in a variety of metals. Jewelers use laser engraving technology to engrave a person’s fingerprint on the surface of metals such as sterling silver, gold, brass, and stainless steel.
The best gift ideas for fingerprint jewelry
A couple can have both their fingerprints engraved on their wedding rings. The fingerprint rings can also incorporate some additions such as the couple’s initials and the date of marriage.
You could commemorate a deceased loved one by wearing a fingerprint locket. Fingerprint lockets are even more special since they include the engraving of the fingerprint and the loved one’s picture.
Gifts for New Moms
A personalized fingerprint pendant necklace, to commemorate the birth of her baby, would make an excellent gift for a new mom.👶🏻 The personalized fingerprint pendant necklace could have the engraving of either the baby’s footprint or handprint. Their tiny footprints and handprints are just irresistible. The prints can be collected to commemorate your baby’s span of life as they grow to adulthood and then passed to them in old age.
Young people have clear fingerprints with ridges that are well-defined. As we grow older and approach our midlife years, fine lines begin to cut across our fingerprints’ surface, making the prints even more distinct. In advanced age, the lines, referred to as lifelines, become even more pronounced while the ridges of the prints grow fainter.
In addition to the print, you can also have the baby’s name engraved on the fingerprint pendant necklace.
Fingerprint Pendants for Couples
Fingerprint pendants are also an excellent gift idea. You could have your pet’s name and print engraved on your jewelry. A couple could also customize their couple fingerprint jewelry with two pendants, having both fingerprints engraved.
How to make fingerprint jewelry, and where to buy?
Pick a jewelry design
For fingerprint keepsake jewelry to be made, the first thing you need to do is pick the jewelry design. Fingerprint jewelry is custom-made and is based on your specifications.
Capture the fingerprint
Once you have picked a fingerprint jewelry design, you have to capture your fingerprint or the fingerprint of your loved one. Some jewelry designers require customers to use their fingerprint kit but others do not. However, it is recommended that you use cardstock instead of printer paper. Cardstock is preferred because it is easier to use and the rendering of the fingerprint is better and cleaner. It is best to use an ink pad for this application.
Send to the jeweler or upload to the platform
You then have to send your fingerprint to the jeweler or upload a digital version of your fingerprint or that of your loved one to the platform. If you intend to send your fingerprint electronically, you should then scan it at a high resolution. You can scan your fingerprint using a desktop scanner. The scan should not be in black and white. You should also avoid resizing the image. You can then email the image to the jeweler. You should remember to include the full name of the fingerprint donor and the order number.
Designer polishes and optimizes the fingerprint
An artist will then work on the most clearly defined section of your fingerprint. The clearly defined area is then cropped and the edges are cleaned digitally to produce a clean and crisp template. Most fingerprint memorial jewelry makers will keep this digital copy of your fingerprint in their database. This will allow you to order fingerprint jewelry in the future that has your print without having to send your prints again.
The customer confirms the design and order
Once the designer has polished and optimized your fingerprint, the customer is allowed to confirm the design. If satisfied with the design, they can then complete the order.
Proceed to the manufacturing
The digital fingerprint is then transformed by a computerized manufacturing device that allows the jeweler to craft a wax mold of your fingerprint image. Once the wax mold is made, the jeweler creates a personal fingerprint charm using the lost wax casting method. Besides, some jewelers may use a laser engraving machine to get your fingerprint engraved on the metal directly—this process can be finished within minutes!
If you want fingerprint jewelry from a deceased loved one’s fingerprint, the jeweler will need assistance from the respective funeral service provider.
Where to shop?
Some of the most popular places where you can personalize and buy fingerprint jewelry include:
Legacy Touch is a leading and professional fingerprint jewelry brand. They provide some of the best services available, allowing you to experience the closeness of a loved one with their unique jewelry. Their products vary from charms, keychains, bookmarks, to dog tags.
Thumbies is another popular fingerprint jewelry brand. Through the unique skills of its artisans, the company is able to create custom pieces for its customers. The company creates jewelry with the aim of connecting generations.
Etsy is a popular online website that focuses on handmade arts and crafts. Among the many products available on the platform is fingerprint jewelry. You will be able to personalize and buy fingerprint jewelry on the platform.
How to care for fingerprint jewelry?
Different metals require different care.
- Gold fingerprint lockets can be cleaned using a soft piece of cloth. Other gold fingerprint jewelry should be cleaned using warm water and mild dishwashing soap. You should first soak your gold fingerprint jewelry in the mild dishwashing soap solution for about half an hour, then clean it gently with a soft piece of cloth. Finally, rinse it with warm water to get rid of any soap residue.
- Silver fingerprint jewelry can be wiped clean with a soft piece of cloth or treated with a silver tarnish remover. Sterling silver pendants and lockets can simply be wiped clean with a soft cloth. Once you’ve used the tarnish remover, wash it with warm soapy water. Rinse it afterward to remove any soap residue and then towel dry it.
- Stainless steel and titanium fingerprint jewelry should be cleaned using warm water and mild dishwashing soap. You should first soak it in the soapy solution for about five minutes before wiping it gently with a soft cloth. Rinse it to remove residual soap and then allow it to dry. The tarnish can be removed using jewelry polishing cloth. You should avoid using abrasive cleaners and harsh chemicals.
- Brass fingerprint jewelry should be cleaned using lukewarm water and mild washing soap. You should first soak it in the soapy solution for about five minutes and then wipe it with a soft piece of cloth. You should then rinse and allow to dry. Tarnish can be removed using jewelry polishing cloth.
Useful tips and resources
It is important to know that the quality of your fingerprint engraved jewelry is based on the quality of the fingerprint that you’ll submit to the jeweler. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you take your fingerprint:
- Always have a clean and dry finger when taking the fingerprint. Fingerprints have unique patterns of swirls, arches, and whorls. These patterns will be affected if your fingers are damp, dirty, or both.
- Once your finger is clean and dry, apply the ink. The ink pad or ink strip should be on a hard and flat surface when doing this. You should tap your finger you intend to print several times on the ink pad to ensure that your fingerprint is evenly covered with the right amount of ink.
- You should then place the piece of cardstock on a flat surface to make the fingerprint. Tap your inked finger onto the surface of the cardstock, making sure to apply firm pressure.⚠️ However, you should not apply too much pressure since this may cause the fingerprint to smudge and smear. Repeat this process several times until you are happy with at least one of the fingerprints.
- Once you have made the prints, examine them closely. The quality of your print is extremely important when it comes to the creation of custom fingerprint jewelry. Issues with clarity with the fingerprint you send will reduce the details on your fingerprint jewelry. Most jewelers won’t accept your fingerprint if the lines and details are not clearly depicted.
- It is important for you to find a trusted jeweler to help create your fingerprint jewelry. Fingerprints are part of personal and private data. Trustworthy companies such as Legacy Touch store the fingerprints in a secure database. Although Etsy is a popular personalized jewelry marketplace with numerous excellent design options, you should try choosing another store if you are concerned about your privacy. Jewelers on Etsy are from all over the world, which means an individual seller may not be capable of protecting your fingerprint details well.
- You should also choose a durable necklace chain for your fingerprint pendant or charm. If the chain is weak the pendant may end up falling easily especially when moving a lot during daily wear.
Final thoughts on fingerprint jewelry
Fingerprint jewelry is literally a one-of-a-kind piece. There is nothing more special than feeling the ridges as you run your fingers across a loved one’s fingerprint. In this way, fingerprint jewelry allows you to feel close to your loved one in a beautiful way.❤️